Billie Eilish, Blondie’s Debbie Harry Attack Abortion Ban - Variety

Billie Eilish, Blondie’s Debbie Harry Attack Abortion Ban - Variety
“I have no words for the bitches in the f--ing White House," said the 17-year-old singer at the ASCAP Pop Awards on May 16.

Excerpt:

Songwriting took a backseat to politics for the female honorees at Thursday night’s ASCAP Pop Music Awards at the Beverly Hilton. America’s rapidly spreading anti-abortion movement in states such as Alabama, Georgia and, most recently, Missouri — and resulting legal battles that could lead the Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs. Wade — had veteran rock stars as well as up-and-coming artists alike raising their voices for a purpose other than singing.

Siblings and musical collaborators Finneas and Billie Eilish jointly received the Vanguard Award, and the outspoken female artist proved that she is also on the forefront of the movement to fight back against abortion bans. “Honestly, I can’t even look at my phone,” she told Variety. “I have no words for the bitches in the f–king White House.” But then she thought of some: “It’s so unbelievable. It makes me, like, red. It makes my ears f–ing steam out of my head. Women should say, should do and feel and be exactly what they want. There should be nobody else telling them how to live their life, how to do s–t. … It just makes me so mad that if I start talking about it, I won’t stop. Men should not make women’s choices — that’s all I have to say.”

Last edited: