Billie Eilish to give free ukuleles and music programs to Highland Park school children - The Eastsider

Excerpt:

Highland Park — Free ukuleles will be handed out to around 2,500 school children in the neighborhood, care of a local who made good, Billie Eilish.

The seven-time Grammy winner, who grew-up and was home-schooled in Highland Park, has partnered with the Fender Play Foundation to provide California Coast Series Seaside Ukuleles.

“Music changed my life, and it’s an incredible feeling to be able to give back to my hometown and provide other kids with the very instrument that made me fall in love with songwriting in the first place,” Eilish said in a statement. “Through this program, I hope we can help inspire the next generation of creatives.”

The instruments will be donated directly to the schools, where students in the third through fifth grades in 10 Highland Park community elementary schools will be receiving them over the next three years. Students will not have to file an application for the instruments, according to Fender.