Billie Eilish, 17, pop superstar: 'I'm just trying to deal with everything' - Sydney Morning Herald

Billie Eilish, 17, pop superstar: 'I'm just trying to deal with everything' - Sydney Morning Herald

Excerpt:

At 17, she's the first person born after 2000 to have a #1 album. Still a minor, she's already a pop icon, both musically and aesthetically, representing the cultural reins-handing from millennials to Generation Z.

"I can't make music thinking about that," says Eilish, from an Adelaide hotel room. "I don't give a f--- about the numbers... It's like, that's sick. But I'm not going to count on all that to make me feel like I'm the artist I want to be, you know what I'm saying?"

That Eilish has caught such fire, and sent the music industry spinning, is at once obvious and boggling. Her music has a classic pop streak filtered through commiserant imagery and a generation's scorn at genre divides. If early Britney Spears went goth, or had grown up in the era of trap, the result might've been Billie Eilish.

full